by: Judy Nichols-Wilson
Whose report do you believe? Do you believe the report of the Lord, or the report of man? The Israelites were at Canaan’s door and God instructed Moses to send spies out to assess the land. You would think that after their escape from Egypt, after crossing the Red Sea, after getting manna from heaven on a regular basis, that the Israelites would understand that God would take care of them.
- At the Red Sea they murmured and wanted to return to Egypt because they felt they had no way of escape. Pharaoh's army was behind them and the Red Sea was before them. "We were better off in Egypt."
- They murmured about being in the wilderness without food and water and God sent them manna from heaven
- When they received the manna, they complained that they did not have meat.
- They even complained about God’s judgement against them, due to their continuous complaints!
The spies returned with a dismal report stating there were good things in the land, but the negative things outweighed the good. Through the eyes of fear, they felt that the giants were too big to overcome and that the Israelites were like grasshoppers.
The sad thing is that this report was given in front of all of the Israelites. Again they started murmuring but Caleb gave his report through the eyes of faith, stating that they could certainly possess the land just as God told them to do.
Check your heart. What has God promised that you have lost faith about? Though God has the battle plan mapped out, our own words have power to dismantle what God has planned for us. The Word says:
- Mark 10:27 “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.’”
- Philippians 1:6 “…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
- Psalm 37:23-24 “The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.”
- Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
- Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 “For we live by faith, not by sight.”
- Psalm 23: 5-6 “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
Don’t shrink from God in disbelief having the grasshopper mentality
Don’t shrink from God when there seems to be no end in sight for your problems
Don’t shrink from God when what you desire seems to take a long time to reach reality.
Don’t shrink from God thinking that your own strength is not enough to handle your situation.
Don’t shrink from God when your supervisor, boss, co-workers and/or others seem to hold you back from promotion. I am truly a witness that God has something much better waiting for you!
YOUR Faith makes the difference in your outcome. If you ever find yourself leaning toward disbelief in what God has spoken to you, CRY OUT:
“Lord I believe. Help Thou mine unbelief.” Mark 9:24